The next day the doctor said to Sue: 'She's out of danger. You've won. Nutrition and care now - that's all.' And that afternoon Sue came to the bed where Johnsy lay, contentedly knitting a very blue and very useless woollen shoulder scarf, and put one arm around her, pillows and all. 'I have something to tell you, white mouse,' she said. 'Mr. Behrman died of pneumonia today in hospital. He was ill only two days. The janitor found him on the morning of the first day in his room downstairs helpless with pain. His shoes and clothing were wet through and icy cold. They couldn't imagine where he had been on such a dreadful night. And then they found a lantern, still lighted, and a ladder that had been dragged from its place, and some scattered brushes, and a palette with green and yellow colours mixed on it, and - look out the window, dear, at the last ivy leaf on the wall. Didn't you wonder why it never fluttered or moved when the wind blew? Ah, darling, it's Behrman's masterpiece - he painted it there the night that the last leaf fell.' Presently Thomas moved tentatively in his seat, and thoughtfully felt an abrasion or two on his knees and elbows. 'Say, Annie,' said he confidentially, 'maybe it's one of the last dreams of the booze, but I've a kind of a recollection of riding in an automobile with a swell guy that took me to a house full of eagles and arc lights. He fed me on biscuits and hot air, and then kicked me down the front steps. If it was the d t's, why am I so sore?' 'Shut up, you fool,' said Annie. 'If I could find that funny guy's house,' said Thomas, in conclusion, 'I'd go up there some day and punch his nose for him.'

داستان کوتاه The Coming-out of Maggie صفحه 6

داستان کوتاه The Coming-out of Maggie صفحه 5

داستان کوتاه The Coming-out of Maggie صفحه 4

داستان کوتاه The Coming-out of Maggie صفحه 3

داستان کوتاه The Coming-out of Maggie صفحه 2

داستان کوتاه The Coming-out of Maggie صفحه 1

داستان کو تاه The Skylight Room صفحه 5

and ,the ,a ,of ,s ,on ,the last ,of the ,and a ,last leaf ,it s

مشخصات

آخرین مطالب این وبلاگ

آخرین ارسال ها

آخرین جستجو ها

تا دیر نشده خرید کن یاربوک دانلود خلاصه کتاب و جزوه رسول حائز وبلاگ مدرسه شاد 76554685 مکانيک سيالات به دنبال یک زندگی جدید nourqrasam